Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Subject Guide Summary
Welcome! This is a guide to MHC Library resources on the topic of Modern Languages, Literature, and Culture. Use the tabs below to find books, eBooks, and articles in the library physical and online collections.
If you would like assistance, click on the pink "Chat with Us" tab on the right to reach a librarian any time, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment for a research consultation.
To find books in the library collections, search using the "One Search" search box on the library's website.
If you would like to browse our books, language and literature materials can be found under the call numbers starting with P, throughout the lower level. Call numbers beginning with P through PR are in the compact shelving (the moveable shelving), and PS through PT are in the area with fixed shelving, under the Reading Room.
- P - Philology; Linguistics
- PA - Greek and Latin languages and literature
- PB - Modern languages; Celtic languages
- PC - Romance languages
- PD - Germanic languages; Scandinavian languages
- PE - English language
- PF - West Germanic languages
- PG - Slavic, Baltic, and Albanian languages
- PH - Uralic languages and Basque
- PJ - Asian languages and literature
- PK - Indo-Iranian languages and literature
- PL - Languages and literature of Eastern Asia, Africa, Oceania
- PM - Hyperborean, Indigenous, and artificial languages
- PN - General literature
- PQ - French, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese literature
- PR - English literature
- PS - American literature
- PT - Germanic literature